Volunteer of the Month: Liza Kitchell
1. Who are you and and how did you first learn about the Growing Center?
I have lived in Somerville for the past 18 years (a transplant from the West Coast - San Francisco). I’m a mom - my daughter is a senior at Somerville High School. I’m a musician and teacher (I work for the Community Music Center of Boston’s School Outreach Program and I teach piano privately at home). I discovered the SCGC when my daughter was 2 years old. It reminded me of the magical garden of the Swedenborgian Church next to where I grew up. I was instantly drawn to it and wanted my daughter to have a magical garden in her childhood, too.
2. Where is your favorite place to escape to in the Somerville / greater Boston area?
In Somerville, I love to jog to Prospect Hill so that I can look out over the Greater Boston area - and try to figure out what things are.
3. What is your favorite vegetable? Green beans.
4. What do you like most about the Somerville Community Growing Center?
The coziness of an urban garden - and the SCGC’s amazing community.
5. What is your favorite thing about Somerville?
The mix of old and new. The old timers with their sense of place, tradition and stories; the new timers with their ideas, creativity and energy.
6. What is your favorite thing about growing?
Getting into dirt. My cat loves to hang out with me when I garden at home - it makes him very happy!